It's a living legal community making laws accessible and interactive. Click Here to get Started »
Elena Kagan is the 112th justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
She was confirmed for the post by the U.S. Senate on August 5, 2010.
Prior to her role as a Supreme Court Justice, Kagan served as the 45th U.S. Solicitor General in March 2009 and was nominated to the Supreme Court of the United States on May 10, 2010 by President Barack Obama.
Elena Kagan is the 112th justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. In her previous position as Solicitor General, Elena Kagan supervised and conducted government litigation in the United States Supreme Court. Prior to her appointment as Solicitor General, Kagan was the 11th Dean of the Harvard Law School. As a scholar of administrative law, Kagan began teaching at Harvard in 1999 in the areas of administrative law, constitutional law and civil procedure. In 2003, she was appointed Dean of the Law School. Kagan also served in the White House, first as Associate Counsel to President Clinton (1995-96) and then as Deputy Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy and Deputy Director of the Domestic Policy Council (1997-99).
Supreme Court Justice Nomination
Kagan had been requested to complete a questionnaire from the United States Senate Committe on the Judiciary with regard to her nomination to the Supreme Court. Her answers were received and can be viewed.
The Senate Judiciary Committee has approved Kagan's Supreme Court nomination by a vote of 13 - 6. If confirmed, Kagan's confirmation as supreme court justice will result in an unprecedent historical event, where three women will simultaneously serve on the court.
On August 5, 2010 the United States Senate approved Kagan as a U.S. Supreme Court Justice in a vote of 63-37, largely along party lines. She is the fourth female justice to serve on the Supreme Court in U.S. history.
Much of the controversy surrounding Elena Kagan's nomination to the Supreme Court dealt with the fact that she had never sat on the bench as a judge. Additionally, there is little knowledge about what her judicial philosophy is as there is a minimal amount of oral or written communication on how she believes a judge ought to decide cases. Below are a few documents indicating some amount of opinion of various legal issues.
Memo topics and notes while working for White House:
Responses to Supreme Court cases as Solicitor General:
- Richard Lawrence Alexis v. Eric H. Holder, Jr.
- Lyndon Young v. Eric H. Holder, Jr.
- Beauvais Bellevue v. Eric H. Holder, Jr.
- Derek Cunningham v. United States of America
- Gena Marie Dunphy v. United States of America 
- ↑ http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0514726620100805
- ↑ http://www.justice.gov/osg/
- ↑ http://www.justice.gov/osg/meet-osg.html
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/ElenaKagan-PublicQuestionnaire.pdf
- ↑ http://www.latimes.com/news/sc-dc-kagan-vote-20100720,0,3340875.story?track=rss&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;utm_source=feedburner&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;utm_medium=feed&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fnews+%28L.A.+Times+-+Top+News%29
- ↑ http://www.clintonlibrary.gov/Documents/Kagan%20-%20Bruce%20Reed/Kagan%20-%20Bruce%20Reed%20-%20Subject%20File%20Series/Box%2097%20Abortion%20Doc%203.pdf
- ↑ http://www.clintonlibrary.gov/Documents/Kagan%20-%20Bruce%20Reed/Kagan%20-%20Bruce%20Reed%20-%20Subject%20File%20Series/Box%20105%20Cloning.pdf
- ↑ http://www.clintonlibrary.gov/Documents/Kagan%20-%20Bruce%20Reed/Kagan%20-%20Bruce%20Reed%20-%20Subject%20File%20Series/Box%20124%20Race%20Commission%20Doc%201.pdf
- ↑ http://www.clintonlibrary.gov/Documents/Kagan%20-%20Bruce%20Reed/Kagan%20-%20Bruce%20Reed%20-%20Welfare%20Reform%20Series/Box%206%20Churches.pdf
- ↑ http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2009/0responses/2009-0955.resp.pdf
- ↑ http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2009/0responses/2009-0733.resp.pdf
- ↑ http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2004/0responses/2004-0828.resp.html
- ↑ http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2008/0responses/2008-1149.resp.pdf
- ↑ http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2008/0responses/2008-1185.resp.pdf
- Clinton Presidential Library and Museu: Bruce Reed Collection - Elena Kagan
- USA Today: Elena Kagan
- Office of the Solicitor General: Elena Kagan
- U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnarie for Nominee for the Supreme Court
- Elena Kagan's Response to U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnarie for Nominee for the Supreme Court
- Harvard Law School Faculty: Elena Kagan
Related Resources on FindLaw
Related Blogs on FindLaw
Web Services by Yahoo!