It's a living legal community making laws accessible and interactive. Click Here to get Started »
REAL ID Act
The REAL ID Act is a U.S. federal law specific to national identification cards and immigration issues pertaining to terrorism.
The REAL ID Act of 2005 was tacked on as a rider to the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief legislation. The REAL ID Act creates a set of federal standards for U.S. state drivers' licenses and identification cards. Access to federal agencies would only be allowed using an id that follows these new standards or a passport.
The following documentation must be provided to the DMV in order for a driver's license or state identification card can be issued:
- A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate
- Documentation of birth date
- Documentation of legal status
- Documentation with Social Security Number
- Documentation showing both name and principal residence address
- Alternative documentation allowed by each State, although such documentation must be authenticated by each time presented
Electronic copies of each identity document will be stored at each state DMV database.
The cost to the states to implement REAL ID is very high. Without federal funding, states are reluctant to use their funds for such an endeavour.
- National Database
Placing sensitive information in a nationally accessible government database would invade privacy of U.S. citizens and expose them to identity theft.
REAL ID is essentially requiring driver's licenses to become a passport. Wouldn't it cost less and require less process to just require a passport to gain entry to government buildings.
- ↑ http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_bills&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;docid=f:h1268enr.txt.pdf
- ↑ http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.109hr1268
- ↑ http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_10/6cfr37_10.html
- Minimum Standards for Driver’s Licenses and Identification Cards Acceptable by Federal Agencies for Official Purposes
- Understanding the Realities of REAL ID: A Review of Efforts to Secure Drivers' Licenses and Identification Cards [2007 Oversight Committee Hearing ]
- The Impact of Implementation: A Review of the REAL ID Act and the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative [2008 Oversight Committee Hearing]
- REAL Nightmare
- State Information on REAL ID
- Anti-REAL ID Legislation in the States
- National ID and the REAL ID Act
- REAL ID States
- Countdown to REAL ID
- REAL ID State Legislation Database
Related Resources on FindLaw
- Why the New Department of Homeland Security REAL ID Act Regulations are Unrealistic: Risks of Privacy and Security Violations and Identity Theft Remain, and Burdens on the States Are Too Severe
- The REAL ID Act: How It Violates U.S. Treaty Obligations, Insults International Law, Undermines Our Security, and Betrays Eleanor Roosevelt's Legacy
- Why the "Real ID" Act, Which Requires National Identity Cards, is a Real Mess
Related Blogs on FindLaw
Web Services by Yahoo!